Configuring and connecting to VSFTP on Linux 7.9 Minimal
To start the server, run the VM through Azure Portal.
- For the connection to the server, you should know the IP address of the VM. You can find it in the personal account of Azure. (You need to select the virtual machine from the list. By clicking the item “Overview”, your IP is displayed in the line “Public IP Address”).
- To manage with a VSFTP server, you should connect to a VM.
- With the PuTTY application
To do this, you need the PuTTY application to connect via ssh. You can download it at the following link – Download
Run PuTTY, enter the VM address in the “Host” field (1) and click “Open” (2) to connect.
In the opened console, you will need to enter a username (1) and password (2) that were specified while the VM was being created (you’ll not see the password in the console while entering it).
- With OpenSSH
In the Windows 10 operating system (starting with version 1809), an OpenSSH client is available, with which you can connect to Linux servers via SSH. If Windows 10 is suitable and the OpenSSH client is installed, you can start connecting via SSH. To do this, launch a standard Windows command prompt and enter the command “ssh user@*vm_ip*” (1), where “user” is the username that was specified while creating the virtual machine and “*vm_ip*” is the VM IP address.
Then type “Yes” (2) and enter a password (3) that was specified while creating the virtual machine.
- To create a new user and password to enter FileZilla – run the following commands:
$ sudo adduser ‘username’ (1)
$ sudo passwd ‘username’ (2)
Enter a new password (3) and press ‘Enter’
Confirm new password (4) and press ‘Enter’
Examples of basic user management commands that can be entered:
- Change password for an existing user – sudo passwd ‘username’
- Deleting a user – sudo deluser ‘username’
- Check status – sudo service vsftpd status
- Get default credentials – sudo cat /root/vsftp_credentials
- To connect to PureFTPd, it is recommended to use the “FileZilla Client” application (you can download it from the link: Download FileZilla Client for Windows (64bit x86)).
- When connecting to the FTP server, you need to follow these steps:
- In the “Host” field, enter the VM IP address
- In the “Username” field, enter the login that was created in paragraph 3 or the default user
- In the “Password” field, enter the password that was created in paragraph 3 or the default user password
- In the “Port” field, enter port 22
- When the data is entered, press Quickconnect
- After entering all the data and clicking on Quickconnect, you will successfully connect to the server.
Now you can work with your own VSFTP server.