Configuration and Connection to Squid Auth on Red Hat 8.6 Minimal
To start the server, run the VM through Azure Portal.
- For the connection to the server, you should know the IP address of the VM. You can find it in the personal account of Azure. (You need to select the virtual machine from the list. By clicking the item “Overview”, your IP is displayed in the line “Public IP Address”).
- To work, you must open port 3128 (TCP) in the network properties in the Azure firewall.
- To configure squid auth, you should connect to a VM:
- With the PuTTY application
To do this, you need the PuTTY application to connect via ssh. You can download it at the following link – Download
Run Putty, enter the VM address in the “Host” field (1) and click “Open” (2) to connect.
In the opened console, you will need to enter a username and password that were specified while the VM was being created (you’ll not see the password in the console while entering it).
Next window displayed
- With OpenSSH
In the Windows 10 operating system (starting with version 1809), an OpenSSH client is available, with which you can connect to Linux servers via SSH. If Windows 10 is suitable and the OpenSSH client is installed, you can start connecting via SSH. To do this, launch a normal Windows command prompt and enter the command “ssh user@*vm_ip*”, where “user” is the username that was specified while creating the virtual machine and “*vm_ip*” is the VM IP address.
Then enter a password that was specified while creating the virtual machine.
Next window displayed
- Now you can use the following commands to manage users:
sudo htpasswd /etc/squid/.squid_users newusername – create a new user.
You need to enter the username (1), enter the password (2) for the new user, and then repeat the password (3).
- To use the proxy server through the built-in Windows tools, you must open the settings. Click “Start” (1), then “Settings” (2)
- In Settings, select “Network & Internet”.
- Go to the “Proxy” section and set the “Use a proxy server” switch to On
In the Address field, enter the address of the VM, and in the Port field, specify 3128. Then click the Save button.
- To work with the proxy server, you need to enter the login and password that you entered when you created the new user.
- To check the connection to the proxy server, open the MyIP.com website in any browser and check if your IP address has changed.
Check out the following links for further documentation and support for Squid Proxy