Configuration and connection to the SFTP OpenSSH – FTP Server on Stream 9 Minimal
Connecting and managing server
- Run the VM through Azure Portal. To customize the Server, first, you need to know the server IP address. You can find it in the personal account of Azure. (You need to select the virtual machine from the list. By clicking the item “Overview”, your IP is displayed in the line “Public IP Address”).
- To manage with a server you should connect to a VM.
- With OpenSSH
In the Windows 10 operating system (starting with version 1809 ), an OpenSSH client is available, with which you can connect to Linux servers via SSH. If Windows 10 is suitable and the OpenSSH client is installed, you can start connecting via SSH. To do this, launch a normal Windows command prompt and enter the command ” ssh user@*vm_ip*”.
Where “user” is the username that was specified while creating the virtual machine and “*vm_ip*” is the VM IP address.
In the opened console it is necessary to enter a password that was specified while creating the virtual machine.
- With the PuTTy application
To do this, you need the PuTTy application to connect via ssh. You can download it at the following link – Download
Run Putty, enter the VM address in the “Host” field and click “Open” to connect.
In the opened console, you will need to enter a username and password that were specified while the VM was being created (you’ll not see the password in the console while entering it).
- Examples of the basic FTP user management commands:
User creation – sudo addsftpuser
When creating a user, you must add and confirm a password for this user
Change the password for an existing user – sudo passwd username
Deleting a user – sudo delsftpuser
Account lockout – sudo usermod -L username
Account unlock – sudo usermod -U username
Connecting to FTP using “FileZilla Client”
To connect to SFTP, it is recommended to use the “FileZilla Client” application (you can download it from the link: https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?platform=win64).
When connecting to the ftp server, you need to follow these steps:
- In the <Host> field, enter: sftp://ip_vm, where ip_vm is the VM IP address
- In the <Username> field, enter the login that was specified when creating the VM, or the username created in paragraph 3 of the previous section
- In the <Password> field, enter the password that was specified when creating the VM, or the user password created in paragraph 3 of the previous section
- In the <Port> field, enter port 22
- When the data is entered, press <Quickconnect>
After entering all the data and clicking on <Quickconnect>, you will successfully connect to the port. Now you can work with this highly functional server.