Configuration and connection to Secure SFTP Server OpenSSH on Windows 2019 DC
- After purchasing and starting the VM, you should know its IP address. You can find it in the personal account of Azure. (You should select the virtual machine from the list. By clicking the item “Overview”, your IP would be displayed in the line “Public IP Address”).
- First, you need to open TCP port 22 in the network properties of the Azure Firewall.
- To connect to the virtual machine, run the “Remote Desktop Connection” shortcut “Win + R“
- In the window that appears, enter “mstsc” and click “OK”.
- In the window that appears, enter the virtual machine’s IP and click “Connect”.
- In the window that appears, enter your username and password and click “OK”.
- Check the box and click “Yes”.
- When connecting to the VM, you can run “freeFTPd” to add a new FTP user
- When opened, the following will be displayed:
Creating a new user
- To add SFTP users, go to the “Users” tab and click the “Add” button:
- In the user registration window, enter “Login”.
Select “Password stored as SHA1 hash” in the drop-down list of the “Authorization” field,
Next, in the “Password” field, enter any user-friendly password and confirm it in the “Password (again)” field.
Disable the use of “FTP server” and click Apply.
- After creating the necessary users, you need to go to the SFTP tab and start the service by clicking the “Start” button (“Server status” will become “Running…”)
- SFTP user folder is automatically created in the “C:\Program Files (x86)\freeFTPd\sftproot\” folder, when a user connects to SFTP for the first time. You can transfer files to this folder, so a user can view them.
- To connect to PureFTPd, it is recommended to use the “FileZilla Client” application (you can download it from the link: Download FileZilla Client for Windows (64bit x86)).
- When connecting to the ftp server, you need to follow these steps:
- In the <Host> field, enter the VM IP address
- In the <Username> field, enter the login that was created in paragraph 3 or default user
- In the <Password> field, enter the password that was created in paragraph 3 or default user password
- In the <Port> field, enter port 22
- When the data is entered, press Quickconnect
- After entering all the data and clicking on Quickconnect, you will successfully connect to the server.
Your clear and functional SFTP server is ready.