Configuration and connect to the PureFTPd on Linux SUSE Enterprise 15 Minimal
Connecting and managing server
To start the server, run the VM through Azure Portal.
- For the connection to the server, you should know the IP address of the VM. You can find it in the personal account of Azure. (You need to select the virtual machine from the list. By clicking the item “Overview”, your IP is displayed in the line “Public IP Address”).
- To work, you must open ports 21, 30000-50000 (TCP) in the network properties in the Azure firewall.
- To manage with a server, you should connect to a VM:
- With the PuTTY application
To do this, you need the PuTTY application to connect via ssh. You can download it at the following link – Download
Run PuTTY, enter the VM address in the “Host” field (1) and click “Open” (2) to connect.
In the opened console, you will need to enter a username (1) and password (2) that were specified while the VM was being created (you’ll not see the password in the console while entering it).
- With OpenSSH
In the Windows 10 operating system (starting with version 1809), an OpenSSH client is available, with which you can connect to Linux servers via SSH. If Windows 10 is suitable and the OpenSSH client is installed, you can start connecting via SSH. To do this, launch a standard Windows command prompt and enter the command “ssh user@*vm_ip*” (1), where “user” is the username that was specified while creating the virtual machine and “*vm_ip*” is the VM IP address.
Then type “Yes” (2) and enter a password (3) that was specified while creating the virtual machine.
- For help to manage users, type pure-pw
Connecting to FTP using “FileZilla Client”
- To connect to PureFTPd, it is recommended to use the “FileZilla Client” application (you can download it from the link: Download FileZilla Client for Windows (64bit x86)).
- When connecting to the FTP server, you need to follow these steps:
- In the “Host” field, enter the VM IP address
- In the “Username” field, enter the login that was specified when creating the VM, or the username created in paragraph 4 of the previous section
- In the “Password” field, enter the password that was specified when creating the VM, or the user password created in step 4 of the previous section
- In the “Port” field, enter port 21
- When the data is entered, press Quickconnect
- After entering all the data and clicking on Quickconnect, you will successfully connect to the server.
Now you can work with your own PureFTPd server.