Configuration and connection to NFS Server on Windows Server 2022 Datacenter
- After purchasing and starting the VM you should know its IP address. You can find it in the personal account of Azure. (You should select the virtual machine from the list. By clicking the item “Overview”, your IP would be displayed in the line “Public IP Address”).
- First, you need to open TCP and UDP ports 111 and 2049 in the network properties of the Azure Firewall.
- To connect to the virtual machine, run the “Remote Desktop Connection” shortcut “Win + R”
- In the window that appears, enter “mstsc” and click “OK”.
- In the window that appears, enter the IP of the virtual machine and click “Connect”.
- In the window that appears, enter your username and password and click “OK”.
- Check the box and click “Yes”.
- Once logged in, open up “Server Manager” (if it doesn’t start automatically)
- Select “File and Storage Services” in the window that opens.
- Select the “Shares” section, and click “TASKS” – New Share.
- Select “NFS Share – Quick” and click “Next” in the window that appears.
- For example, you can configure a specific folder as Shared. To do this, you should click on “Type a custom path” and select a folder or write the folder name, which will be created in the directory you selected, if there is no such folder. Click “Next”.
Share_folder is an example of a folder name, it is not necessary to specify it exactly. You can specify any folder that you want to make available on your VM
- Click “Next”, and click “OK” (in the case in the previous step you wrote the name of the folder that would be created)
- Specify authentication methods.
- Set the share permissions. Click the “Add” button.
- Specify the Hosts you’d like to grant access permissions like the example below. Enter the IP address and choose the permissions that will be available to this host.
- Click “Next”.
- Click “Create”.
- Click “Close”.
- Now you can manage the NFS server with ‘NFS tools’
Connecting to NFS Share
- In the search field, enter “windows features” and open this menu.
- In this window, scroll down to “Services for NFS” and check the box “Client for NFS” and then click the “OK” button.
- Open “Explorer – This PC”, and select “Computer – Map network drive – Map network drive” on top.
- Enter \\vm_ip\shared_folder and click “Finish”.
Vm_ip and share_folder are given as an example, you should insert the IP address of your VM instead of vm_ip, and instead of share_folder you should insert the Share name of your NFS.