Configuration and connection to hMail Server on Windows Server 2022 DC Azure Edition
For the connection to the server, you should know the IP address of the VM. You can find it in the personal account of Azure. (You need to select the virtual machine from the list. By clicking the item “Overview”, your IP is displayed in the line “Public IP Address”).
For the VM to work, you need to open TCP ports 25, 465, 587, 110, 995, 143, and 993 in the network properties of the Azure Firewall.
Your virtual machine should have the static IP address if you want to constantly change the domain settings (because if the address is dynamic, after the rebooting of the machine it’ll change to the static one).
The instruction on how to change the Azure VM address to the static one https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/article/assign-static-public-ip-address-to-azure-vm/
After creating the machine, it’s possible to get access to the web panel either directly through the IP address or by adding to the domain MX records.
The instruction on how to do that:
Google Domain – https://support.google.com/a/answer/6248174?hl=en
Namecheap – https://protonmail.com/support/knowledge-base/dns-records-namecheap/
GoDaddy – https://www.godaddy.com/help/what-is-an-mx-record-324
(For your site, where you’ve bought the domain – please, google “youdomainSeller add mx records” or contact seller customer support)
Connecting to the VM
- To connect to the virtual machine, run the “Remote Desktop Connection” shortcut “Win + R”
In the window that appears, enter “mstsc” and click “OK”.
- In the window that appears, enter the IP of the virtual machine and click “Connect”.
- In the window that appears, enter your username and password and click “OK”.
- Check the box and click “Yes”.
Configure SFTP server
- You will find the shortcut of the app on the desktop. Click twice to run it.
- Next click Connect
- Now you should enter the password “h3pwdcdkh32”, it is also located in the “password” file on the desktop.
- Create a domain
- After saving, it is necessary to create a mail account
- Click “Save”, after entering account data.
- Now you can connect to your account.
- Use if necessary additional functions in “Advanced”:
- To run and stop the server, use shortcuts on the desktop
You will find more detailed instructions on how to work with hMail server on the developer’s website:
hMailServer documentation – hMailServer – Free open source email server for Microsoft Windows